Do you want to work for an exciting startup company at the cutting edge of hydrologic and hydraulic modelling? Heron Hydrologic Ltd. may be the right place for you!
We are a small consulting company that specializes in hydrologic and hydraulic modelling. We take on projects for clients, develop software, write data analysis scripts, deliver training courses to professionals, and are in the process of developing a novel floodplain mapping software called Blackbird. Our company incorporated in 2022 and is led by a University of Waterloo environmental engineering alumni and current grad student, as well as two UW professors. We bring the best of academia into practice, and this is a chance for you to work alongside the experts. You can learn more about our company at heronhydrologic.ca. This is a great opportunity for a motivated young professional to have a dynamic work environment, and gain relevant industry experience in a short period of time.
This full-time position will start May 2024.
In this role, you will work directly under the supervision and mentorship of co-founder and President Robert Chlumsky, licensed Professional Engineer and current UW PhD Candidate. You will support the company in testing and deploying Blackbird software, as well as support other projects and initiatives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Building hydrologic and hydraulic models;
- Developing test cases and bug reports for Blackbird software;
- Liaison with clients in meetings and emails, including meeting with professionals to understand their floodplain mapping workflows and opportunities;
- Support professional training courses in preparation and delivery;
- Assist in preparing reports and other deliverables;
- Development of web applications and forecasting workflows;
- Other duties as needed in our small, dynamic team.
The ideal candidate will possess the following soft skills:
- Self-motivated and able to solve problems independently;
- Able to speak confidently with professionals in the industry;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Organized and detail-oriented
The ideal candidate will also have experience with some or all of the following skills:
- Building hydrologic models, especially with the hydrologic modelling framework Raven;
- Building hydraulic models, such as 1-dimensional or 2-dimensional models with HEC-RAS;
- Geospatial analysis with GIS software;
- Data analysis with scripting languages, such as R or Python;
- Code development software and best practices, such as experience using Github;
- Web development and user interface experience, including Java and HTML;
- Experience in environmental projects broadly, including field work, environmental assessments, engineering design, etc.;
- Preparing technical reports and presentations.
Our work culture promotes independence and flexibility to maximize productivity and work satisfaction. Baseline hours are 9-5 but hours can shift based on a preferred schedule. The job will be fully remote, but with opportunities for in-person meetings in the Kitchener-Waterloo area if convenient. The role will provide a unique opportunity for one-on-one work alongside and mentoring from the President of the company. In addition, you will have a unique training experience, building up specialized skills at the edge of hydrologic/hydraulic modelling practice that will set you apart from others.
How to Apply
Please reach out to us directly with a resume and reference this position in your email, and we will get back to you.